Page 3

TASHA
I know that. It's just until you can find a job to support –

DALE
I can't find a job, okay! I'm not one of your smart college friends, Tasha! Don't you understand that?!

The sudden rise in Dale's voice catches her off guard. For a moment, Tasha thinks about responding. Ultimately, she covers her face and weeps. 

Dale sighs remorsefully. He gets up from his chair and sits next to Tasha on the bed. Dale starts to rub her back.

DALE
Baby...I'm sorry for – 

Tasha smacks his arm away.

TASHA
Don't you think I'm scared, too? You don't think I get tired of lying all the time?! I wake up every night because this baby is kickin' the hell out of me. Every single night! Do you know how hard I work keeping this secret just so I can have a roof over my head? I'm scared to death! And the one person that's supposed to be helping me is giving up! 

Tasha continues to sob as Dale watches helplessly. She had so many dreams. High school graduation. A full scholarship at Penn. An internship with AppSci.

All gone. 

Tasha wipes her face and whispers.

TASHA
I'm a liar and a slut. That's all I am. What kind of mother am I supposed to be?