Page 7

Tasha hesitates. She wishes there was more that she could say to dissuade Dale from risking his life. But the truth is that their options are limited. They need the money, badly, especially considering the baby's special needs.

TASHA
I hope you know what you're doing, Dale. I really do. Stacy was on the show last year and you know what happened. I just don't want you to end up like her or worse.

DALE
Believe me, Tasha. I'm better than Stacy ever was. And I'll prove it. When I win the tournament, I'll prove to Stacy and your parents that I'm worthy of you. And I'll give our daughter the life she deserves. You'll see...

Dale embraces Tasha, caressing her womb with his hand. He can feel the baby gently pushing against his palm. A small voice suddenly echoes. 

BABY
Be careful, daddy.

Dale and Tasha smile, pleasantly surprised. Dale rushes over to the door and locks it. Then he comes back to Tasha and kneels at her stomach. 

Tasha's belly shifts and bubbles. Slowly, the shape of the baby's head presses against the womb, printing its face onto the skin inside of Tasha's stomach. Its eyes, nose, and cheeks protrude towards its father. Dale can see its lips move.

BABY
Daddy...

DALE

I'm here, sweetie.

When Dale and Tasha made love to each other six months ago, neither of them noticed the opened M-Verse portal. At least, not until after Dale climaxed inside her. The warm circle of light and energy floating above them was scary. And the first time their daughter spoke from inside the womb was even scarier.

But as the months went by, they got use to baby's random acts of consciousness. Knowing how the government treats children exposed to the M-Verse, Dale and Tasha's number one priority was to keep this hidden for as long as possible.

<– Previous Page |****| Next Page –>