Page 63

Suddenly, Slater falls to his knees, locks his hands together, and closes his eyes.

The entire arena is perplexed. Most of the competitors laugh.

DALE
What is he doing?

ISRAEL
Taking us to church, I guess.

Plumley steps forward, tired and weary.

PLUMLEY
So what are you waiting for, huh?!

Slater doesn’t move. He doesn’t say a word.

PLUMLEY
Come on, kid, let’s get this over with.

Slater remains still. Plumley’s anger begins to rise.

PLUMLEY
What are you waiting for!? Do it! Hit me! C’mon, hit me! Beat me up! Spill my blood just like all the others! Do it! Do it! I deserve to –

SLATER
It’s a lie, John. Don’t believe the lies.

PLUMLEY
What?

SLATER
The lies. The ones that you tell yourself every night. The ones that torment you about the mistakes you’ve made...with Melissa.