Page 4

DALE
Baby, don't talk like that. You're the best girl I know. I'm sorry for yelling. We're in this together. That was our promise when the test came back positive, right? I swore that I would never be like my father. And I meant it. I'll take care of us, Tasha. I have a plan.

TASHA
What are you gonna do?

Dale takes a deep breath. He stands up, slowly backing away from the bed. He's been wanting to tell her for weeks. Dale braces himself.

DALE
Tasha, I signed up.

Tasha hisses the air between her gritted teeth. Her face shapes into a hard scowl. She clutches the sheets on the bed so tight that her nails slice through the fabric. Tasha speaks slowly, cutting each word into angry little bits.
TASHA
What did you just say?

DALE
I signed up for the tryouts.

The pregnant girl violently launches a pillow at Dale's face. He dodges it, and the pillow knocks over a vase, crashing on the floor behind him.

TASHA
Dale!? That's exactly what we talked about you not doing!